Friday, March 20, 2015

BREAD HALWA (Bread Pudding)!!!!!

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
7/17/10, 3:30 PM
India Standard Time}


'Halwa' the very word is mouth watering. But during childhood the only halwa I knew was that of Mangalore. The Mangaluru Halwa. The hard varieties. Flavors like banana halwa, Bombay halwa, godhi halwa with nutty garnishing, were the only pictures of halwa I had tasted.

But after my acquaintance with Kuku (now my hubby), I learnt that even the "Ksheera" what we called, at Mangalore, popularly known as "Kesaribath" at Bangalore, was also called as sooji halwa. And many more puddings prepared similarly were called as the "respective ingredient halwa", such as the Gaajar ka Halwa ( Carrot Halwa), Lauki ka Halwa (Bottle Gourd Halwa), Moong Dal Halwa (Split Green gram dal Halwa), etc.,etc.,. That sure gives a picture of Halwa Mela!

Bread Pudding

One such Halwa is the Bread Halwa. I still remember, the restaurant at ITPL, "SINDBAD". This was when I worked for AOL, Pvt. India Ltd., we had our team lunch at this restaurant. I simply loved the Moong Dal Halwa that they served for the buffet lunch. I always looked forward for those team lunches, just to devour this halwa. They served it with ice cream. One day I decided that me & my hubby would have our lunch together at this place. And the day we had our lunch, the restaurant served bread halwa with ice cream. Both of us relished this dessert to the core. Some days later, I even took away a parcel of this halwa home, & devoured it. DIVINE!!!

Bread Pudding

And this was one preparation that we never forgot & never will. Whenever we had a craving for a sweet dessert, we just reminisced this halwa. That was when we decided that it was high time we tried it at home. We did & voila!!!!! It was a hit at home. For almost all special occasions, I landed up preparing this halwa. Even otherwise I would prepare it & even take a take away for my mom when I visited her. She sincerely devours it. She would serve a small bowl for everyone at home & then, you would never see it back. It would go underground. Then my mom would relish it alone, every now & then, till the last bit. :-)))

Bread Pudding

My brother (Amrith), got married recently. Now my mom has her newly wedded daughter in-law (Jyothi) with her. Last week it was her first birthday at her in-laws after wedding. I had prepared bread halwa, as a part of the sumptuous birthday lunch. After the lunch I left to my place & rest of the guests went home too. My mom still had 3/4 of the halwa with her. As she went in & out of the kitchen, she kept nibbling at the halwa. She also found that Jyothi did that too. Next moment she hid the halwa container. None of them could have more of it. Next morning they found out that the halwa was consumed completely by mom "THE HALWA CHORNI". My new sister in-law, asked me to prepare it again so that she could devour her share to the core.

Laugh Out Loud!!!!!! ऐसे ऐसे तो हलवा के किस्से हैं हमारे घर में. (Aise Aise Tho Halwa Ke Kisse Hain Hamare Ghar Mein)

Ingredients:

Bread Loaf - 1
Milk - 1/2 liter
Cashew nuts - 100 gm
Raisins - 25 gm
Sugar - 150 gm (1 cup)
Ghee - 100 gm

Method:

Tear the bread loaf into quarter a slice.

Bread Pudding

Boil the milk.



Now heat ghee in a wok.

Then add the crumbled bread & stir fry. Once the bread crumbs soak the entire amount of ghee & turns golden brown in color, add the cashews & raisins & stir fry.

P.S. you can also fry the cashews & raisins separately & then add it to the bread crumbs.

Once the cashews & raisins turn golden brown, add the boiled milk. Keep stirring as the milk would start throwing out. Mix well & keep stirring for 2 minutes even after the milk has been absorbed completely.

Once the bread looks dry, add the sugar & stir it well for at least a minute. And turn of the flame. Once the sugar has been absorbed, you are ready to relish the yum Bread Halwa.

Bread Pudding

P.S. It would taste best when it is relished hot.

Bread Pudding

Once you have prepared this do not forget to lemme know ;)

I have kinda re-posted this very old post from my archival..... But just updating better pics, of course.....

Sending this as my entry to Nivedita's CELEBRATE SWEETS~HALWA event..... Thanks to Jagruti for letting me know of this celebration.... It feels great to celebrate INDIA.... in all respects..... & Food is an integral part of the Colors Of India..... :)
Celebrate Halwa
Ha! That reminds me of the theme for June ATCs which was Ethnic India..... & Here are my creations portraying the ethnicity...... Do take a peek :-) @ HASTKALA!!!!!

That is it for now..... Will be back soon again.....

UNTIL NEXT, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

1 comment:

  1. 22 COMMENTS:


    RashmiAugust 14, 2009 at 1:51 AM
    Hi there,
    This is Rashmi from Mother's recipe house.
    I liked ur bread pudding. might try it soon.
    I have also join as ur follower.
    -Rashmi

    ReplyDelete

    niveditaJuly 17, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    HI Asha,
    Thanks alot for sending this recipe to my event.
    Loved the writing too!

    ReplyDelete

    PariJuly 18, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    Hi Asha, loved reading the Chorni version. Looks so delectable dear that even I do not mind being a chorni too.

    ReplyDelete

    HaddockJuly 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    Good way to have bread. Leftovers can be used ?

    ReplyDelete

    AkilaJuly 30, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    That was lovely one...

    First time here and added urs in to my blog list and your cards blog... wow how many different ones you have... simply superb..

    By the way When you find time do visit my blog and I would like to invite you to participate in the events CID-2010 and DNSW: A by sending your special recipes.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

    ChitraAugust 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    I wanted to try this for a long time.Sounds simple ..will try for some occasion :)

    ReplyDelete

    SushSeptember 5, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    I also almost make it the same way. The only difference being.., I pulse the bread in the mixie for 2-3secs :p

    ReplyDelete

    Sharmilee! :)November 14, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    Luv bread in any form...looks super yum

    ReplyDelete

    Foodie AnnNovember 26, 2010 at 10:36 PM
    this looks really good..:)

    ReplyDelete

    Now ServingDecember 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM
    This is awesome and looks DELISH- Will try to make it soon :-)
    Please visit my blog - I recently posted a recipe for Pumpkin Halwa
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

    Harika's KitchenJanuary 21, 2011 at 3:06 AM
    We can even make sweet with bread fabulous.. you r rocking and your blog looks colourfull keep going

    ReplyDelete

    CharithaFebruary 18, 2011 at 3:21 AM
    Delicious halwa..mouth watering
    http://womensera2008.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-event-announcement-lets-start.html

    ReplyDelete

    Sushma MallyaFebruary 22, 2011 at 5:50 PM
    Hope u come soon with a bang!

    ReplyDelete

    Neenu PraveenMarch 5, 2011 at 5:44 AM
    yummy halwa...followin u frm now on...

    ReplyDelete

    RakshaMarch 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM
    Will try this for sure.
    Following u from now :)
    http://rakshaskitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

    EftychiaJune 13, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    Delicious recipe. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

    Mary JoyJuly 19, 2011 at 9:41 AM
    Such a delicious looking recipe. A must to try at home.

    Mary Joy from Acoustic Guitar Lessons

    ReplyDelete

    AlpanaSeptember 13, 2011 at 9:41 PM
    Hi,

    Came across your space today.....Love this bread halwa.
    V nice blog u have, following you.
    Visit me at smart-snacks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

    KR @ Edible EntertainmentMarch 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    Hello! Came across your blog while browsing through Foodie Blogroll’s blogs.. I find your recipes unique and interesting! Bread halwa is something I've never hear of before! i am going to try it! :)
    -
    Kavi (Edible Entertainment)

    ReplyDelete

    Suresh UrsApril 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM
    The Bread Halwa recipe is of nice and awesome one. Thanks for posting such a nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete

    milecarOctober 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
    French food dictionary balanced in my palms, like a slab of slate flecked with twinkly mica. The weight felt substantial. It smelled like an animal in the forest. Pulling back a page, I'd realized I'd not had a real book experience in ages. I've become careless with books, viewing them as throwaways, like H&M clothing. I've been guilty of sacrilige. I've marked them up, hard covers too, with pencil, pen even, as if knowing the sufferable truth; modern books are defamable.

    ReplyDelete

    SandhyaDecember 29, 2013 at 1:03 AM
    Prepared this dish last week for my friend's family as a X-mas dinner dessert. They loved it and asked me for the recipe. She even said, she would've secretly eaten some if it was her house. Thanks a lot for posting this recipe, not sure how i missed eating this at sindbad.

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)