Friday, March 20, 2015

KARELA BHOONJIYA (Bittergourd Fry, Aagalkai Dry)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
10/28/09, 12:16 AM
India Standard Time}


As soon as I heard of bitter gourd(ಆಗಲಕಾಯಿ, करेला) being prepared in the kitchen, during childhood, I sulked. The very name got me feeling bitter throughout. Always thought, "how would I be able to complete the formality of lunch, that day.... I had no means to escape"... I wished somebody invited me to their place for a birthday lunch or even a casual lunch...I wished I was held up for some extra curricular activity after school.... but that also meant my share would be kept aside for my dinner...with love.... Either ways I would end up 'bitter'.
My mom used jaggery in the preparation, just for us....to make the bitter, better for us....Still all that I felt was only bitter....As I grew up I stopped running away from it, but just emptied my share as a formality to good health...but I did not like it with jaggery....Even now I do not like jaggery being used in preparing the aagalkai. Now as an adult, I still do not relish it, but don mind having it once in a while...

Now I like what my mom prepares, the same way as earlier but only minus the jaggery...So it's good....I would post that later...

After marriage, when I was with Maa in-law, I tasted her karela dry fry. And I liked it....(not relish!!!) It tasted less bitter. And since then I prepare this with ease...as it's simple & just takes some minutes of your time.....

Ingredients:

Bitter gourd - 2, a li'l tender
Onion - 1, big sliced
Dry Red Chilli - 2
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to Taste
Mustard Oil - 2 tbsp

Method:

Cut the washed karela into thin & round slices. Soak them in water & keep aside... Heat oil in a wok or thick bottomed vessel. Once the oil is smoking hot, add the broken dry chilli & then add the onions.

Drain the water from the soaked karela. Once the onions are translucent, add the karela slices & stir. Now add the turmeric powder, red chilli powder & salt. Stir fry on high flame, till the bitter gourd gets fried.

karela fry


karela fry


As the size & texture,reduces & softens respectively, reduce the flame & cook it covered, stirring at regular intervals. Remove from flame once done....

karela fry


Serve it hot with rice & simple plain dal & relish!!!!!!!!

And yes, last but not the least.... I would like to thank savvystudios4u.com, for the new look on my header & sidebar..... THANKS!!!!!!


1 comment:

  1. 10 COMMENTS:


    Sukanya RamkumarOctober 28, 2009 at 12:47 AM
    Healthy fry recipe. Looks so good. Nice way to eat karela....

    ReplyDelete

    THE GARDEN CAT COTTAGEOctober 28, 2009 at 1:07 AM
    What a lovely blog. You are so creative. Best Regards..Kathy @ The Garden Cat Cottage and Texas Tipsy Cakes . blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

    Sailaja DamodaranOctober 28, 2009 at 1:15 AM
    Nice click.....dish looks easy to make.

    ReplyDelete

    tinaOctober 28, 2009 at 3:22 AM
    Beautiful pictures of some great looking gourds. I could be almost tempted to try it myself:)

    Feel free to use the photos of the pets. I'm not sure where Skeeter got them but I think they might be on public domain so no problem.

    Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete

    SanghiOctober 28, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    Wow.. yummy dear..!

    ReplyDelete

    kitchen queenOctober 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    looks very delicious and tempting and mouthwatering.Can I come over for lunch and have these nice karela sabzi?

    ReplyDelete

    Sushma MallyaOctober 28, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    Lovely pic,so simple and delicious...i always have fried bittergourd, never tried it out this way...will surely try this...

    ReplyDelete

    sangeetaOctober 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    first time here n must say you have a nice blog Asha!!
    i liked the name of your blog and i find many UP recipes here...good to see...i love this karela bhujia but my husband hates this..

    ReplyDelete

    PriyaOctober 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM
    i like bittergourd made jus like u..pls collect the awards from my blog dear

    ReplyDelete

    Prasukitchen.blogspot.comOctober 31, 2009 at 3:13 AM
    yummy and nice one dear

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)