Friday, March 20, 2015

SWEET TUKDI (Thukkudi, Diamond Cuts)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
10/16/09, 12:32 AM
India Standard Time}


'Tukdi' is one of my family's favorites during Diwali. Of all the eatables & delicacies that we prepare for Diwali, this is the mostly sought delicacy. When we prepare it looks like it would at least last a month, but in vain. It would get emptied within a week or two. Peeps may also call it SHAKKAR PAALA, but I think that is the one, which is dropped into the sugar solution after frying. At Mangalore, the stalls or sweet meat shops offer the spicy variety of this. But my mom prepares the sweet one as we all like it, including my hubby, Kuku.
Very simple & easy. The only difficult part is the rolling & cutting involved. We get exhausted totally by the time we complete the 'production'. In between we tend to eat fruits & keep ourselves charged up, by discussing our love stories (me, my mom & my newly wedded sis in-law, Jyoti) or 'my' past acquaintances.

FRUITS


It is fun..... when my mom learns, where was I meandering when she went looking out for me, at my college.... I was a "PAIN IN THE WRONG PART" then.... of course, as I was busy "nain matkifying" (नैन लड़ना) with Kuku, my then Love & now Soulmate. I know I have got my parents worried, a lot.... then.... but I'm sorry...really sorry, for then, that was all my goal in life.... Kuku was all I wanted..... And now he is mine forever.......................................................... for all births......

Ok.... coming back to where I started.... It always happens... I start off with my love story & keep continuing with pride.........

Ingredients:

All Purpose Flour (maida) - 1 kg
Salt to Taste
Hot Oil - 2 tbsp
Sugar (powdered) - 1 cup
Water as Required
Cooking Soda - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Mix all the ingredients in a wide mouthed vessel & knead into a soft dough.

TUKDI


Make lemon sized balls & roll it flat, (preferably thin) with the help of a rolling pin. Now cut the flat rolled dough into shapes of diamonds, with the help of a designed cutter.

TUKDI


TUKDI


Now store these cut diamonds on a plate & keep aside, till you are done with 3, rolled dough.

TUKDI


Heat oil in a kadai or wok. When the oil is smoking hot, drop these cut pieces, of the 3 rolled breads & deep fry them till lighter shade of golden brown. And repeat the process till you are completely done with the kneaded dough.

TUKDI



Remove from oil & transfer the pieces on to an absorbent paper, to let the excess oil get absorbed.

TUKDI


TUKDI


When cool, store in an air tight container & savor, whenever you please.

HAPPY DIWALI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This Diwali Dhamaka goes to Purva's event (Indian Festive Food-Diwali Dhamaka)


1 comment:

  1. 5 COMMENTS:
    1.
    Sangeetha SubhashOctober 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM
    Looks crispy and crunchy yum yum..Perfect snack for tea time..My mom use to do it..I never tried it..Nicely presented and Nice click 2!!!
    Thank u for stopping by kothiyavunu and for ur sweet comments.Keep in touch.

    Happy diwali.:)
    ReplyDelete
    2.
    Malar GandhiOctober 16, 2009 at 5:33 AM
    Sweet crunch, i love it.
    ReplyDelete
    3.
    Sushma MallyaOctober 16, 2009 at 8:54 AM
    wow that looks so crispy and delicious..i really enjoy having this during tea time...And wish u and ur family a very happy diwali..hope it brings in lots of happiness and luck..have a great festive season..take care
    ReplyDelete
    4.
    TinaOctober 16, 2009 at 9:10 AM
    Diamond cuts looks so cripy and cute... Happy Diwali to uuuu
    ReplyDelete
    5.
    my kitchenOctober 16, 2009 at 9:36 PM
    Crispy & yummy one.Happy Diwali
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)