Friday, March 20, 2015

MATAR BHARKE!!!!!!! POORI & PARATA.....(Pea Stuffed Indian Bread)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
3/17/10, 1:09 PM
India Standard Time}


Hello Everyone!!!!! Kindly forgive my long absence from this space...... Yup! I know I am being mean on my maiden space.... but I promise to make up for it..... I will sincerely try to post at regular intervals & to visit all those amazing people who have supported me so far & who post such amazing stuffs & info..... I am sorry again........

Going on with my regular punching..... I have nothing more to share other than my CARDS! CARDS! & CARDS!!!!!!

And Yes! One important thing I observed & changed is the COMMENT VERIFICATION on this blog.....

Many a times, may be due to the bad internet or the bad comp...days..... Due to the increased traffic & usage..... it gets me pissed... to the core.... When I visit some space to check out their lovely postings & desperately wanna leave a comment letting them know that I had been there & relished their yummy posts..... Phew!!!!! It just freezes on me .... All I want is to punch in those feelings & leave...but these verifications get on my nerves..many a times..... And when I thought I realized many others may have also been facing this at my space too..... So I thought & decided to get rid of it...... I discarded that pathetic comment verification thing.....

Now, just punch in your feelings & it gets published or saved, to be published later...That looks fine & easy..than having to punch in all those extra letters which makes less sense to me...... I am not sure of what I did was right YA wrong...but my instincts asked me to get rid of it for good.... & I did.....

Peeps!!!! I would love to hear, what u have to say regarding this..... Since that would help me analyze better..than just follow my instincts....... ;-) So please feel free to share your takes on this...... THANK YOU!!!!!

And now getting on with the main मुद्दा (Mudda, matter).... of today..... MY PREP 4 TODAY!!!!!!

As I had mentioned in my earlier posts, the North Indians have a variety to binge on..... Most of their cuisine is all stuffed...... which is very very pleasing on palates........ which many love & adopt too.... though not a part of their staple diet.....

Hmmm.... I am here to post one such stuffed (भरके) delicacy of The North.....
My Delicacy in-law!!!!!

And that is मटर भरके पूरी और पराता..... Pea stuffed Indian Bread....... This is how it goes........ :-)

Ingredients:

For Stuffing

Fresh Peas - 200 gm
Green Chilli - 3
Onions - 1 medium (finely chopped)
Coriander Leaves - 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Oil - 3tbsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp

Masala Powders

Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Garam Masala - 1tsp
Kitchen King Powder - 1 tsp
Chaat Masala - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to Taste


For the DOUGH:

Wheat Flour - 1/2 kg
Salt to Taste
Ajwain + Mangrela (Carom Seeds or Oma + Black Sesame Seeds) - 1 tsp ( I keep a mix of both)
Oil - 1 tbsp
Water as required

OIL FOR DEEP FRYING

Method :

Knead all the above ingredients together & keep aside.....

Ps: For paratas the dough is kneaded a bit more harder than your regular rotis (chapatis)...... And for the pooris, the dough is kneaded hard...... Leave it aside covered for a minimum of 30 minutes to let it settle into a soft & fluffy dough......

Now boil the fresh peas, mash & keep aside.....

Pea Stuffing For Both Parata & Poori


Heat oil in a wok & add the cumin seeds.... Allow it to splutter.... Then add green chilli & onion together & fry till translucent..... Add all the above mentioned masala powders & stir fry, on a low flame..... for a minimum of 4-5 minutes..... Now add the pea mash & mix to combine well...... Keep stirring at regular intervals for a further 5 minutes..... Now sprinkle the chopped coriander leaves & mix well.... Remove from fire & keep aside to cool........


FOR PARATAS:

{Make lemon sized balls & shape these balls into nice small katoris or bowls..... Fill in a small amount of the pea mixture in & seal it very carefully..... TIGHT! Believe me the texture of the dough plays a very important role in this.... If it is not kneaded well, the stuffing would make its way through the dough.... every now & then..... Now roll these stuffed balls with a rolling pin, flat & round...... }


Pea Stuffing For Both Parata & Poori

This picture of getting the stuffed balls, posted above goes for both the stuffing ... that of poori & parata.....

Pea Parata


Heat a pan or a skillet (tawa) & place this flattened bread on it.... When one side is done, flip it over to let the other side cook..... Meanwhile smear a teaspoon of oil over it & flip it over again & repeat the oiling process..... When both the sides are well cooked, transfer the parata onto a plate.... Repeat the process with the rest of the dough & stuffing.....

Pea Stuffed Parata


When done serve it hot with sauce, bowl of curd or yogurt or an accompaniment of your choice like a gravy...veg or not veg...... Just RELISH!!!!!!!


FOR POORIS:

You begin the process the same way as mentioned above in {flower brackets}


Pea Stuffed Poori


Since it is a poori the size of the flattened dough would be considerably small as compared to the above parata....... Heat oil in a deep bottomed vessel or a wok.... When done, drop the flattened bread carefully into the wok or kadai...... & allow it to puff on a side....when done flip it over to let the other side cook as well.... When it turns golden, remove it from the oil & transfer onto an absorbent paper or a tissue..... Repeat the process to consume the entire stuffing & the dough or as required to please your tummy... ;-)

Pea Stuffed Poori


Now serve them hot & puffed with any favorite accompaniments..... May be a gravy (veg or non veg) or simply sauce or chutney...... Well my picture shows the Avarekaalu & potato gravy...... YUMMY YUMMY CRIES MY TUMMY!!!!!!! Savor it ALL!!!

Pea Stuffed Poori


These delicacies make for an awesome break fast, lunch box or a good dinner.......

I would like to send this as my entry to the two events that I have longed to participate in..... which are.....

Jihva Breakfast announced by Indira of Mahanandi, hosted this month by Suma of Veggie Platter..... Kudos!!!!! to You both......

JIHVA

AND

Srilekha of Me & My Kitchen for her EFM Series - Paratas & Gravies recipes...... Kudos!!!!! to you too.....

EFM SERIES

The gravies as an accompaniment would be Meat Rassa in non veg or Mushroom Gassi in Veg....

That is it for now..... Before I wind up I wanted you to remind me of my new CARD SPACE.... DO take a peek into those creations to either bless or curse me..... ;-) Do not forget......

And Yes do not forget to share your thoughts & observations on comment verification, as mentioned at the very beginning,which now is history in my space....... :-)

ENJOY EVERY MOMENT..... TO THE FULLEST!!!!

UNTIL NEXT, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!



5 comments:

  1. 65 COMMENTS:
    1.
    Aruna ManikandanMarch 17, 2010 at 9:17 PM
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!

    More than parathas i love the stuffed poori's

    Love to have some :-)

    Ur stuffing looks very cute dear!!!!!

    Wonderful clicks.....
    ReplyDelete
    2.
    SanjanaMarch 17, 2010 at 9:56 PM
    Wow, how delicious do these look? My mum makes something very similar and it is one of my absoloute favourites! Yum!
    ReplyDelete
    3.
    A 2 Z Vegetarian CuisineMarch 17, 2010 at 10:26 PM
    Incredibly...super fantastic...yummy peas paratha/poori...just love them...
    ReplyDelete
    4.
    kothiyavunuMarch 17, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    There you go,again a cute presentation with healthy & yummy stuffing..Awesome paratha & puri asha!!
    ReplyDelete
    5.
    Sailaja DamodaranMarch 18, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    It has come out perfect.Always my stuffing comes out,Needs more practice i guess.Tempting picture.
    ReplyDelete
    6.
    tinaMarch 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    Oops, just realized you moderate so you won't have to deal with those unwanted comments. Good for you. That works too!
    ReplyDelete
    7.
    tinaMarch 18, 2010 at 1:19 AM
    It looks so good! I'd love it for lunch.

    The comment verification thingy is a must because the spammers find blogs SO quickly. You'll get unreal comments that make no sense from robots advertising silly and stupid things. I hope they don't find you as it gets most annoying removing the comments. As it is, even with comment verification on I get comments from 'anonymous' folks trying to advertise things. Hate it. Anyhow.
    ReplyDelete
    8.
    Lady BohemeMarch 18, 2010 at 1:29 AM
    Hi dear, beautiful photos and delicious recipe! kiss
    ReplyDelete
    9.
    Cool Lassi(e)March 18, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    Mattar Paratha and Poori looks awesome. I am so bookmarking it.

    Also about the verification thing, I had gotten rid of it 2 weeks ago since I thought it to be unnecessary when the moderation thing is ON.
    ReplyDelete
    10.
    Viki's KitchenMarch 18, 2010 at 2:02 AM
    Thanks for the step by step explanation for paratha.Lovely click...your poori is very cute. How can you tempt a poor soul like me with your stuffed poori? Now I am planning to make ateast a simle poori for dinner...hi..hi
    Regarding that word verification....I know its stupid, but I am targeted often by some comments in unknown language:) I tried removing my verification part, but still they are harassing me. Deleting numerous comments is very difficult for me.I too feel the same like you. Anyway I too wish to get rid of that verification thing:)
    ReplyDelete
    11.
    FazelaMarch 18, 2010 at 2:50 AM
    Nice recipe....the pooris look so inviting!!
    ReplyDelete
    12.
    simply.foodMarch 18, 2010 at 3:26 AM
    The peas parathas and puris look delicious.Lovele step by step instructions are really helpful .Thanks for dropping by simply food and leaving such beautiful and inspiring comments.
    ReplyDelete
    13.
    Sarah.j.s.March 18, 2010 at 7:54 AM
    Thank you for leaving such a lovely comment on my blog m'dear! :) It's always so nice to hear from you!

    And about the verification thing, I know!! It can be so frustrating sometimes. Grrr....

    And oh, the Pea stuffed Indian Bread looks DELICIOUS! I have to try this soon!
    ReplyDelete
    14.
    SuparnaMarch 18, 2010 at 9:27 AM
    hey Asha, both the recipes are awesome and well presented :) nice compilation of snaps too...
    I agree with most of the blogger friends opinion regarding the verification thingie :)
    TC
    ReplyDelete
    15.
    Ms.ChitchatMarch 18, 2010 at 10:57 AM
    Lovely, awesome, delicious (Whoops, I am running out of adjectives ):) Clicks are too good and enhances the richness of the dish. We miss u, please blog often :):)
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16.
    PrathibhaMarch 18, 2010 at 11:24 AM
    Feeling like grabbing those poori's from d screen dear..looks perfect
    ReplyDelete
    17.
    Sushma MallyaMarch 18, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    wow very beautiful pics...so tempting paratha and poori...loved the recipe of stuffing, really good one ash
    ReplyDelete
    18.
    Supriya NairMarch 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    very tempting parathas n puris. Luv the recipes n the detailed pics.
    ReplyDelete
    19.
    LGMarch 18, 2010 at 2:12 PM
    I just fell in love with those pooris. Don't they look like kachoris?? oh man..I am already hungry!!!
    ReplyDelete
    20.
    sangeetaMarch 18, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    This is such a favorite in our part of the country and each family has their own special recipe , this one looks very tempting ....i love a bengali version of this poori with aaloo dum ....yummy !!!
    ReplyDelete
    21.
    shahanaMarch 18, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    Never tried stuffed puries at home.im bookmarking this recipe!
    ReplyDelete
    22.
    Sarah NaveenMarch 18, 2010 at 8:07 PM
    Its Good to have comment verification thing, but can be worst too...
    So i changed it long back....but the spam comments is a big headache sometimes..and delete it as soon as i find them..lots of marketing comments re there in our blogs now a days...
    Btw..both looks yummy ...poori looks awesome!!!!! i m drooling here..
    ReplyDelete
    23.
    LaavanyaMarch 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM
    I love how you've made them all so perfectly - haven't tried peas stuffed parathas before looks delicious.
    ReplyDelete
    24.
    PavithraMarch 18, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    Oh wow wow wow.. both parata and poori looks too tempting and you have done wonderfully with beautiful step by step pictures... wow its heaven having parata with curd and pickle yummy...

    Pavithra
    ReplyDelete
    25.
    Ramya ManjaMarch 18, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    I think u r absolutely right in correcting the comment verification thing..Makes things easier...

    Now coming to ur recipes,as always they are packed with Delightment and Nutriment..Both paratas and poori's looks mouth watering with that yummy stuffings...
    ReplyDelete
    26.
    TinaMarch 18, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    Cute and lovely poori and parathas...
    ReplyDelete
    27.
    AyshaMarch 18, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    Yummy yummy...i just loved all of them...very tempting pics yaar!!!
    ReplyDelete
    28.
    ruchikacooksMarch 19, 2010 at 12:47 AM
    Thanks ash didi..parathas look lovely..pooris tooo..
    ReplyDelete
    29.
    ElizabethMarch 19, 2010 at 1:16 AM
    Thanks for removing the comment varification - I removed mine a while ago, cos they are so annoying to do - and so far no spam!

    Great recipes as usual! And loved your two entries on Stamp With Us this week. :)
    ReplyDelete
    30.
    Daisy BlueMarch 19, 2010 at 2:52 AM
    Hey Ash..those Paratas & pooris look very awesome with your step by step pictorials!!
    After reading your post I have removed mine actually.. yes it is unnecessary with the comment moderation as Lassie pointed out.. :)
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. 31.
    Suma GandlurMarch 19, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    That poori - paratha pictorial looks awesome. Thanks for these amazing entries, Asha. :)
    ReplyDelete
    32.
    SushMarch 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    oho, aha.,bayallu neeru tadiyoke agtha illa. I loved both the paratha & the poori. Wish I could take a bite. Lovely pictures & great effort Asha
    ReplyDelete
    33.
    vineethaMarch 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    Loved ur paratha.it looks awesome and the presentation is superb dear..In btw u have got a beautiful finger nails dear :)
    ReplyDelete
    34.
    Suma RajeshMarch 19, 2010 at 8:48 PM
    wooo this looks fantastic..very nice click..makees me tempt....
    ReplyDelete
    35.
    JGHMarch 19, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    Hey! Another wonderful recipe --thank you! Regarding comments - I took out the word verification and it was fine for a couple years, but then just recently I had to put it back on because I started getting so much spam. And sometimes I couldn't figure out how to erase it!
    Hopefully we'll come up with a hack-free system soon!
    Enjoyed my visit, as always!
    ReplyDelete
    36.
    FimèreMarch 20, 2010 at 3:56 AM
    une recette que je note soigneusement car elle me parait excellent
    bonne soirée à toi
    ReplyDelete
    37.
    LeenaMarch 20, 2010 at 3:11 PM
    Hi there,first time visiting ,very innovative blog!,added to my bloglist!,peas paratha's and poori's are mouthwatering.....
    ReplyDelete
    38.
    reanaclaireMarch 21, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    wow..your pratas are so yummylious!!
    ReplyDelete
    39.
    LeenaMarch 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    Thanks!!! for visiting!!!!! my blog and showering... me so much love as a kannadiga!...I hope this will continue....
    ReplyDelete
    40.
    BharathyMarch 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Awwwwww.. These are toooooo Yummmy!!
    ReplyDelete
    41.
    BharathyMarch 21, 2010 at 8:12 PM
    Awwww....These are Toooooo Yummy!!!!
    ReplyDelete
    42.
    RVMarch 22, 2010 at 8:39 AM
    Both paratha and poori looks amazing.. I would love to have them anyday. And I agree on the comment verification. Even I got rid of it. I assume that I submitted my comment then slowly a verification box pops up, many a times I don't notice and my comments never reach my friends :-(
    ReplyDelete
    43.
    ChitraMarch 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM
    Lovely lovely.u have lootts of patience i shud say :)have bookmarked it./
    ReplyDelete
    44.
    JagrutiMarch 22, 2010 at 3:56 PM
    Oh Ash..any left for me? making me drool here...fabulous and tempting!! same problem here about comment...
    ReplyDelete
    45.
    Hamaree RasoiMarch 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM
    Hi Ash

    Both the Poori as well as Parathas look delicious. I hope to replicate the same soon in my kitchen. It seems that you have put in lot of hardwork to pull this off. Fantastic Clicks.

    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

  4. 46.
    Divya KuduaMarch 23, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    I love stuffed parathas..yummy.Love the step by step pics too..:)
    ReplyDelete
    47.
    ruchikacooksMarch 23, 2010 at 7:35 PM
    raw- rava specials. Rava idli and kharabath are our favorites..
    ReplyDelete
    48.
    ವನಿತಾ / VanithaMarch 24, 2010 at 12:10 AM
    Hii..Asha..
    Next time B'lore ge bandaaga definitely nimma manege visit maadbeku...such a luvly dishes..& very gud presentation...
    he he..luved ur story in other post..
    thanks for ur sweet words dear:)..
    ReplyDelete
    49.
    ಸಾಗರದಾಚೆಯ ಇಂಚರMarch 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM
    Hi Asha

    yavaga namge karedu poori maadi haktiraa

    nicely explained everything
    ReplyDelete
    50.
    Supriya NairMarch 24, 2010 at 1:54 PM
    Hi dear, I have shared a sweet award with you. Please do collect and post it.
    ReplyDelete
    51.
    sangiMarch 24, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    wow!gr888 job Aysh!These r the best stuffed pooris i have ever seen!beautiful click
    ReplyDelete
    52.
    kitchen queenMarch 24, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    lovely mouth watering parathas and puris.Dearest Ash I am always with u.You r my closest and sweet sister whom I haven't met as yet but would love to meet very soon God willing.
    ReplyDelete
    53.
    DollyMarch 25, 2010 at 4:12 AM
    Wah Bhai Wah , Ash ..Kya baat hain. Awesome post..Love them both but my favorite has to be the matar bharke poori..What superb Clicks... DEkh kar hi dil khush ho gaya..
    ReplyDelete
    54.
    Lady BohemeMarch 25, 2010 at 3:14 PM
    hi dear, thanks for your nice comment!
    Kiss
    ReplyDelete
    55.
    JMarch 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM
    hey..first time here..loved this recipe..i was looking one for stuufed pooris..finally got a real good one..will visit often..

    following u!
    ReplyDelete
    56.
    Lena Rashmin RajMarch 25, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    its realy great that u added step by step procedure snaps..really useful..I just came across your blog and I am so glad I did! This looks fabulous!
    ReplyDelete
    57.
    vineethaMarch 26, 2010 at 1:30 AM
    Please Collect ur award from my blog.
    ReplyDelete
    58.
    SathyaSridharMarch 26, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    You got nice space dear,,, i like stuffed parathas very much,but i tried only aloo paratha.ur version got nice explanation with nice stuffing,sure will try this one soon dear,,thanks for sharing,,tkae care n keep smiling.
    ReplyDelete
    59.
    Hamaree RasoiMarch 27, 2010 at 6:28 PM
    Dear AshKuku,
    There is an award waiting for you in my blog. Please accept it.
    Enjoy
    Have a nice weekend
    Deepa
    http://hamareerasoi.blogspot.com/
    ReplyDelete
    60.
    ARUNAMarch 27, 2010 at 11:24 PM
    hey lovely presentation sweety, such a detailed one infact...even a person who is alien to cooking will b able to try after seeing ur recipes, no kidding!!
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  5. 61.
    ruchikacooksMarch 27, 2010 at 11:38 PM
    Thanks ash didi, I wanted to try those kadis and gattes for a long time. How are you? Any news wrto that? Do post some new recipes from the book you got, been waiting for that..
    ReplyDelete
    62.
    PanchpakwanApril 8, 2010 at 12:57 AM
    Saw this tempting poori in suma's roundup..
    Loved it!
    very nice collection of recipes here..
    Gald to follow you..:)
    ReplyDelete
    63.
    RohiniApril 8, 2010 at 6:45 PM
    Aww.. I am so curious to know how to get those perfect round parathas.. Mine are always looking like an amoeba.. Hehe..Anyways both poori n paratha looks awesome!
    As you know, I was off the blogging for a month due to my German course, and now I am back.. I'll catch up all your posts soon :)
    With the word verfication, I guess it is to reduce the spam... But nevetheless you did what is best for your blog, and I am sure it will be the best too :)
    ReplyDelete
    64.
    anubhavatiApril 26, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Hi Asha,

    First time on your blog and I must say, I love yor sincerity and genuiness. Your peas filled parathas are lovely and more lovely are your fingers and the way you have shaped every paratha with the little lid tightly sealed....YUM!!!
    ReplyDelete
    65.
    eatingmattersJuly 16, 2010 at 6:20 AM
    wow the peas puri looks yummy! There is this Tiwari bros food company in bombay and they have such similar delicacies! I always crave for their food.
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)