Friday, March 20, 2015

MACHLI BAAT (Maach Baat, Maach Jhor, Fish in Mustard Gravy With Rice)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
12/16/09, 12:19 PM
India Standard Time}


I remember this nursery rhyme, that Kuku taught me.....
"मछली जल की रानी है
उसका जीवन पानी है

हाथ लगाओ तो डर जायेगी

बाहर निखालो तो मर जायेगी"


("Machli Jal Ki Raani Hai
Uska Jeevan Paani Hai

Haath Lagao To Darr Jaayegi

Baahar Nikhaalo To Mar Jaayegi"
)

Lovely rhyme, Isn't it ???? Hmmm..... Very 'Fishy' indeed......

The only kinda fish prep I knew was that from Mangalore.... the traditional gravy, with coconut as the main ingredient used. The other I got to know was without coconut, but with just the powdered masalas... just plain......

Only after my wedding, the fish gravy I got to taste was the Bihari prep.... which is very yum & 'pleasing your palate' too...... Fish in Mustard Sauce.......

Maach Jhor


The taste is so catchy, that one would be left with a feeling of "wanna have more".....It makes you end up eating a morsel more than usual. Very tangy & chatpata! My folks at home, they all have a crave for it on a higher side, especially my mom...... I remember once when she had to come home, she took almost 2 hours to reach..... I was like What??? Where????When???? It was when she reached that I got to know, she stopped at the fish market to get some fresh fish, for me to prepare her favorite for her...... When she decides on something, she would go to any extent..... & she loves fish a lot..... Since she has been diagnosed with cholesterol, she has to curb those cravings.......

I would like to share an incident, that shows her cravings for fish..... This was when she learn' t to ride my scooty... just started.... One morning when we woke up she was not there nor the scooty.... we were all so worried.....My brother called me up to find out if she came, to my place.... After an hour we got know that she had been 'FISHING' (to the Fish Market Of course)....on her own..... She comes back with a big GRIN on her face, like this ..... :-) & we were all, like this :-0 ........ LOL!!!!

OMG!!! New rider without a license on that busy & potholed dampy roads, going 'Fishy'!!!!! That is how she is.... Very daring!!!! Always ready for adventure & excitement......
Let her be so forever......God!

Now coming back to my Fishy Business...... here's how one can prepare that delicious MAACH JHOR! as it is called in Bengali.....

Maach Jhor


Ingredients:
(serves two)

Anjaal (King Fish) - 2 pieces
Tomato - 2 medium
Onion - 2 medium, sliced lengthwise
Ginger Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Lemon - 1 big, cut into half & De-seeded
Dry Red Chilli - 4, broken
Mustard Seeds - 2 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tbsp
Mustard Oil - 6 tbsp
Water - 2 cups

Marination:

Salt to Taste
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp

Method:

Marinate the cleaned & washed fish & keep aside for half an hour. Grind tomato, ginger garlic & mustard seeds, into a fine paste.

Maach Jhor


Heat oil a deep bottomed vessel or a wok. Deep fry the marinated fish pieces till golden brown & keep aside.

Maach Jhor


In the same oil, fry the broken red chilli & sliced onions till translucent. When done add the paste into it & fry for 3 minutes. Now add all the masala powders & stir fry for 2 minutes. Then add the fried fish into the masala mixture & stir for 2 minutes. Add 2 cups of water & squeeze the one whole lemon & stir. Now allow it to cook for 7 minutes, covered, on a low flame.

Maach Jhor


When done serve it piping hot with a serving of piping hot rice. Sliced cucumber would also accompany this Machli Baat the best.

Maach Jhor


PS: Here Machli is the fish & Baat is the rice...... Hence the name Maach Baat.

TOFA (Token Of Admiration):

A Thofa (थोफा, gift) - token of Appreciation, to all those who share their love on my miniscule efforts, to write my heart up....... Year coming to an end....let us all celebrate, the goodness, together.........................

It means a lot...... Sometimes gets very touchy, with some similar moments & emotions being shared & mentioned, in your words of appreciations........

Mostly.... for all those love & wishes showered on my mom, on her Birthday......... I did not know how else, could I show my gratitude...... Hence made this piece for all my readers.............

"And this Blogfare goes to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...............................******************"
Oooops!!!! I lost Count........

Kindly accept it...... ALL!!!!!!!!

Cheer Readers
ACCEPT the CHEERS & SHARE THEM TOO............ Cheerfully!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Until we meet next, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. 31 COMMENTS:
    1.
    TinaDecember 16, 2009 at 5:54 PM
    Wow fish in mustard gravy..Luv this version dear...Yummyyy and delicious....
    ReplyDelete
    2.
    Faiza AliDecember 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    YUmmmm...looks so creamy..nice recipe,deary.
    ReplyDelete
    3.
    prasuDecember 16, 2009 at 6:12 PM
    wow....mouthwatering fish curry dear....never tried cooking with mustard....to be frank never felt like....but today after seeing ur tempting pics....I feel like trying it....lovely pics Asha.........thanks for the cute gift token......
    ReplyDelete
    4.
    Sushma MallyaDecember 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM
    so spicy & delicious fish curry ash...
    ReplyDelete
    5.
    vineethaDecember 16, 2009 at 7:19 PM
    Fish curry looks yummy...Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe :)
    ReplyDelete
    6.
    kitchen queenDecember 16, 2009 at 7:26 PM
    Hi Ash thanks for sharing the blog cheers with everybody.
    ReplyDelete
    7.
    Sarah NaveenDecember 16, 2009 at 7:32 PM
    Oh wow!!! i love this..
    A Bengali friend of mine introduced me to this fish curry when i was in Banglore..Oh My i loved it so much...
    THis looks fabulously yummy dea..!!! I will dfntly give it a try
    ReplyDelete
    8.
    sangeetaDecember 16, 2009 at 7:42 PM
    Hey this is one yummy fish curry i know , i have two versions of mustard gravy fish on my blog but your pictures look so yummm...( but i got a heart attack seeing 6 tbsp of oil )...again the pictures are killing me...

    The mustard gravy can be made in many variations and some people think mustard is the best accompaniment for fish .... i agree this is one addictive curry...

    thanks for the cheer readers thingy....
    ReplyDelete
    9.
    Sailaja DamodaranDecember 16, 2009 at 8:11 PM
    Mouthwatering dish.Fish is all time accepted on my dining table.Thanks for the gift.Appreciate your thought.
    ReplyDelete
    10.
    SwarnaDecember 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM
    wow..this is one wonderful fish curry and thanks for sharing the recipe and thanks for sharing the cheer blog with all...
    ReplyDelete
    11.
    kothiyavunuDecember 17, 2009 at 3:45 AM
    So delicious!! For a great fish fan like me, this dish sure will please the palates!! Great click... :)
    ReplyDelete
    12.
    my kitchenDecember 17, 2009 at 10:51 AM
    Tempting fish curry.yum yum
    ReplyDelete
    13.
    AshwiniDecember 17, 2009 at 10:14 PM
    my hubby is fan of fish curry..he loves it any form... looks yummy
    ReplyDelete
    14.
    AmbikaDecember 17, 2009 at 10:45 PM
    Hey Asha, thanks for your lovely comments! Those tiny tid bits around the cookies are fruit flavored marshmellows :)
    ReplyDelete
    15.
    SarahDecember 17, 2009 at 11:06 PM
    Looks great! Love curries. :)
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. 16.
    AnuDecember 17, 2009 at 11:35 PM
    Wow tempting dear... yummyyyyyyyy....
    ReplyDelete
    17.
    JaneDecember 20, 2009 at 3:28 AM
    Asha please be not afflicted! I have sent your sticker and a surprise!

    I know to you love birds. Can we will make an exchange? I to you of birds, and you to me henna. I very much like bodyart henna and at me red hair))) In Russia henna of bad quality (((
    ReplyDelete
    18.
    AshKukuDecember 20, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    Thanks to All for the thoughts & love..... It keeps me motivated..... a lot.....
    ReplyDelete
    19.
    SUFFIXDecember 20, 2009 at 1:40 PM
    Wow yummy recipe & pics, i am a fish lover :) Thanks for sharing the award.
    ReplyDelete
    20.
    Sushma MallyaDecember 20, 2009 at 2:00 PM
    Thanks so much ash for this token of admiration...
    ReplyDelete
    21.
    Aruna ManikandanDecember 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM
    Thanks for sharing a wonderful gift with me dear!!!!!!!!
    ReplyDelete
    22.
    JGHDecember 20, 2009 at 7:40 PM
    Good morning Ash Kuku. Hey, it's snowing on your blog! How'd you do that?!

    We got half a foot of snow last night so I'm in the mood to make something like this. I don't cook fish very often so it's always a special treat.

    I had to laugh at the story of your mom craving fish and going herself to find it - she'll stop at nothing, huh?

    Warm wishes,
    Jennifer from Nyack Backyard
    www.nyackbackyard.blogspot.com
    ReplyDelete
    23.
    Malar GandhiDecember 20, 2009 at 8:31 PM
    Hi Asha,

    The recipe sounds very interesting, I love fish in all forms, this is absolutely mouth watering:)

    Thanks for the Tofa:) And thanks for leaving your valuable comment at my space.

    B/n one small question...why did you adress me 'Sirji'...did you think I am a boy??? I am a girl and 'Gandhi' is just my last name:)
    ReplyDelete
    24.
    Renuka Bedre - RaoDecember 20, 2009 at 10:06 PM
    Thanks alot Ash for these wonderful cheers!!! Cheers to you for showing ur love on my blog too!!!
    ReplyDelete
    25.
    AshKukuDecember 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM
    Thanks to ALL for spreading the cheers......I feel happy.....

    Thanks JGH, Malar & Shafiahmed for your valuable words.....

    Thanks to each & everyone of you.... for leaving those words, for me & my work.....
    ReplyDelete
    26.
    DollyDecember 21, 2009 at 2:28 AM
    Your Machli Baat is mouth watering and delicious. Beautiful presentation. Thanks for the nursery rhyme. My mom taught me when I was little..she had learnt it in school...
    ReplyDelete
    27.
    Malar GandhiDecember 21, 2009 at 3:09 AM
    Dear Asha,

    Thanks for your lovely words at my space...

    Lol, Tortoise - roomali roti' was hilarious...now I laughed like teenager.:) Good that you shared it with me. B/n...I welcome such honest open hearted comments, you know.

    Good to know that you are aware I am a girl, he he.:) Now I sound like a bulb:) Aaah never got a chance to see that Ad', so absolutely no clue...thanks for the clarification, dear:)
    ReplyDelete
    28.
    Lady BohemeDecember 21, 2009 at 4:42 AM
    Hello, your recipe is delicious and very inviting! I thank the very kind comment! Kiss
    ReplyDelete
    29.
    Sarah NaveenDecember 21, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Da thanx for th msg and the award ...
    ReplyDelete
    30.
    Ms.ChitchatDecember 21, 2009 at 9:49 AM
    Thanks Asha for the cheers. Have a nice day :):)
    I am a vegetarian so could not comment on this machli baath although I loved the colour :):)

    Chitchat
    ReplyDelete
    31.
    JagrutiApril 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    Thanks Ash for the fishy link..;-)
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)