Thursday, March 19, 2015

KALA CHANA AUR LAUKI KI SABZI (Black Chickpeas & Bottle Gourd Gravy)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
9/7/09, 12:12 AM
India Standard Time}


I never liked bottle gourd during my childhood days. But now after tasting the preparations of my mom-in law, I've started loving this vegetable.

And I like it with any combination. Be it combined with a simple moong dal (split green gram dal or lentil) or with black chickpeas (Kaala Chana or kappu kadale). May be it would taste best with the white chick peas (Kaabuli Chana or bili kadale) as well, which I have not tried as of now.

I can vouch for this preparation. Aap Ungli chaatthe reh jaaoge (आप ऊँगली चाट्तैं रह जाओगे).



Ingredients:

Black Chickpeas - 1/2 a cup
Bottle Gourd - 1 medium, cut into cubes
Onion - 1 medium, sliced
Dry Red Chilli - 1-2, broken
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Mustard Oil - 1/2 tbsp
Salt to Taste
Kitchen King Masala - 1-2 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/2 tsp
Chana Masala Powder - 1 tsp
Water as required

Method:

Soak kaala chana overnight.

Heat oil in cooker & add broken red chilli. Fry for a minute. Then add the sliced onions & fry for 2-3 minutes. Now add the cubed bottle gourd & black chickpeas.

Add all the masalas & fry for 5 minutes untill the veggies & the masalas have been fried well.

Add enough water to make a reasonably thick gravy.

Cover the lid of the cooker & let the whistle blow for 5 minutes.

When the pressure has been released, just transfer it to a serving bowl & mix well. Just mash the bottle gourd peices a bit so that the gravy thickens with the mashed gourd.



Serve it hot with rice & dal or rotis.


1 comment:

  1. 2 COMMENTS:


    ElizabethSeptember 7, 2009 at 2:32 AM
    So glad you came to my blog and left a lovely message, because now I have found yours. Your recipes look delicious and I will definately have to try some. I love to cook as well as make cards.

    ReplyDelete

    Kitchen FlavoursSeptember 8, 2009 at 10:23 AM
    Wow....that's an new and yum combo to me.....looks delectable....nice to know that u r also from Bangalore. Iam also from Bangalore and pretty nice to know that u r also interested in Mehendi.....same pinch....

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)