Thursday, March 19, 2015

SPINACH DAL (Palak Dal, Palak Soppina Bele Saaru)

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
9/11/09, 8:03 PM
India Standard Time}


I usually prepare the simple Bihari Dal at home, but sometimes if I have the stock of fresh spinach leaves I love to prepare this dal which is very delectable, divine & is healthy too. All it needs is some cooking & churning.



Not necessarily be spinach leaves, one can use any edible leaves for this kinda preparation.

Ingredients:

Fresh Spinach Leaves - 1 bunch, washed & chopped
Tuar Dal (lentil) - 1/4 cup
Masur Dal - 1/4 cup
(* I keep a mix of both dals)Garlic Cloves - 3-4, crushed
Green Chilli - 2-3, slit into half
Onion - 1 medium, sliced lengthwise
Fenugreek Seeds (methi seeds)- 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2, broken
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Salt to Taste
Water as required
Pepper Powder - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Asafoetida (Hing) - a pinch
Oil or Ghee - 1/2 tbsp

Method:

Empty the thoroughly washed & chopped Palak leaves into the cooker.



Also add the washed lentils (dal). Add cloves, green chilli, onion, methi seeds, salt to taste and enough water for all the veggies to cook & for the gravy.



Let the whistles blow enough to cook the veggies well. Once it's done, keep the cooker aside & wait till the pressure is released. Once it is done remove the lid of the cooker & churn the whole cooked preparation with the help of a whisk, lightly so as to mash the cooked lentil or the dal & the veggies.



Heat oil or ghee in a pan or wok, and add cumin seeds & allow it to splutter. Once done add the broken dry red chilli. Now add the cumin powder, the pepper powder, turmeric powder & Asafoetida (heeng). After this add the cooked & whisked dal preparation. Mix it well & add water if the dal is very thick & salt too accordingly.

PS: If ghee is used for the seasoning, the dal turns out to be divine, that you would love to consume it all by itself.



Serve it hot with rotis or rice.

I would like to thank Chitra from Anyone Can Cook, for trying this prep & sharing her love too...

1 comment:

  1. 9 COMMENTS:
    1.
    DEESHASeptember 13, 2009 at 11:38 AM
    I love spinach dal. b ut i never tried adding masoor dal to it .. I always used moong dal
    ReplyDelete
    2.
    mgmSeptember 13, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    hi,

    iam from Karnataka, one of my primary interest is cooking.
    recently i have started to blog Karnataka dishes. can u visit my blog and if u want to give suggestion , give me.
    my blog name is RUCHI BY MGM
    url is http://mgmruchi.blogspot.com
    ReplyDelete
    3.
    mgmSeptember 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    hi,

    iam from Karnataka, one of my primary interest is cooking.
    recently i have started to blog Karnataka dishes. can u visit my blog and if u want to give suggestion , give me.
    my blog name is RUCHI BY MGM
    url is http://mgmruchi.blogspot.com
    ReplyDelete
    4.
    Malar GandhiSeptember 14, 2009 at 9:45 PM
    One of my fav' greens...love it.
    ReplyDelete
    5.
    ChitraSeptember 15, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    wow , u wont believe me, i was really searching a dish with palak.Thanks a lot ash,,very yummy dish.Have bookmarked it :)
    ReplyDelete
    6.
    Kitchen FlavoursSeptember 15, 2009 at 3:52 PM
    Simple food...comfort food....spinach & dal....yum combo....
    ReplyDelete
    7.
    hiranSeptember 24, 2009 at 1:43 PM
    http://hiran-mysterysoftheworld.blogspot.com/
    this is my new addition
    ReplyDelete
    8.
    radhaNovember 15, 2009 at 11:00 PM
    I made this recipe. It was delicious. very different from what I make. Came over from Ratatouille - where she has given the link for tried and tested.
    ReplyDelete
    9.
    viniAugust 30, 2010 at 3:16 PM
    Hi,
    I tried this..turned out well..Thanks

    Vini
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)