Friday, March 20, 2015

PREP TADKA MAARKE!!!!!

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
5/30/10, 7:08 PM
India Standard Time}


Hello!!!! I am very much alive...... It was my comp which ditched me & kept me away from catching up with the happenings around, for sometime..... I had to (oops! sorry, My hubby! No credits taken).... My hubby had to get few things changed in it, to get it back fixed & working.... He feels really bad & hurt, to see me without my Computer..... as I start drooping around, not knowing what to do..... ;-)

Now that it is back & since I had no challenges I was desperate to attempt, for my Craft blog, I thought it was time I posted here to save my nose..... ;-) Seriously, I felt ashamed looking at the archive, which showed just one post each for the months of April & May.... I really felt... "Chullu bhar paani mein dhoob maroon"..... I am sorry.... I know I am being unfaithful to this blog & all my supporters, who have made me grow till date... with my preps for consumption & postings too..... I thought at least to face myself, I had to post today......

So here I am with preps I thought would make an entry (last minute again! Shame! Shame!) to the Dal Event @ Veggie Platter....... I was looking forward to post since many days for this event, but it kinda got piled up... So here I am with Three Dal preps....... TODAY!!!!!


DAL TADKA!

This is a popular prep at my in-laws...... Very simple yet divine...... Goes well with both rice as well as rotis......

Ingredients :

Toor dal + Masoor dal - 1/2 cup ( I keep a mix of both)
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to Taste

For Tempering -

Green Chilli - 2, finely chopped
Onion - 1/2, finely chopped
Tomato - 1 medium, finely chopped
Oil/Ghee - 2 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
DAL TADKA

Method :

Cook the dal with the above ingredients as usual/ pressure cook..... Whip it lightly & keep aside...
Heat oil in a wok & add the cumin seeds...Allow it to splutter & add the green chilli, onion & tomato.... Stir fry till the onion turns pink..... Add asafoetida & stir for half a minute... Now add the whipped dal into the tadka..... Mix well & allow it to cook further for 5 minutes, covered.... Depending on the required consistency, add water...... Usually dal fry has a thicker consistency..... Now serve it hot with your rice or roti accompanied by any other dry sabzi......
DAL TADKA
Well I served it with Bhindi Bhoonjiya for the dry sabzi that day...... prepared similar to the Aloo Bhindi Bhoonjiya minus the Aloo (Potato). Savor!!!!!

Mango Dal!


I just wanted to try something different from the usual, hence added few pieces of raw totapuri mango, with the dal.......

Ingredients :

Toor dal + Masoor dal - 1/2 cup
Raw mango - 10 chunks (optionally peeled)
Onion - 1 medium (finely sliced)
Green Chilli - 2 small (slit lengthwise)
Garlic - 3 cloves (minced)
Tomato - 1/2 chopped
Methi Seeds - 4 to5
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to Taste

For tempering -

Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves - 1 twig
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil - 1 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1/4 tsp
Dry Red Chilli - 2 broken

Mango Dal

Method :

Pressure cook dal with all the above ingredients & once done, lightly whip the prep with a whisk & keep aside...... Now heat oil for tempering in a wok & add all the ingredients in the order from mustard seeds, curry leaves, dry red chilli, asafoetida, & the masala powders..... Stir fry for a minute & add in the whipped dal mixture....... Let it boil for 2 minutes & then savor it hot with rice..........

Few months back, my gardener did the garden.... Changing the soil, adding manure & sprayed pesticide..... And just recently I saw, few tomato plants in few of my pots along with the flowers in them, which were the original inhabitants of the pot........... I was like WOW!!!! There were quite a handful, which were raw.... I called Kuku & we both marked them together...... But later, we forgot......

One morning as my maid left, I went behind her to close the door & saw her leaving with two tomatoes...... I asked her "from where?" & she replied "from your garden" & I was like "What???" My tomatoes I forgot about & my maid was happily savoring them... I asked her to spare them for a minute at least, to let them pose for few captures as a memory of my garden tomatoes..... And willingly she did & left one for me too..... So here are the captures.....
Garden

Are they not cute & glossy..... I felt so proud to see them grow in my pots.......
Garden
And after that day, whenever she found one in the garden, she plucked them for me..... I felt good.... One tomato, I sliced into rounds for a simple salad & the other I used in my regular dal....

Garden
U can see the bits & pieces of my garden tomato in this simple regular dal, which I prepare for my daily lunch.......

Hmmm.... So that's a lot of Dal stuff...... These are my last minute entry to the Dal Event @ Veggie Platter.......

Dal Event

That is it for now...... I would be back soon, & I see to it that I keep up to my schedule this time.....

UNTIL NEXT, KEEP THE FAITH!!!!

4 comments:

  1. 40 COMMENTS:
    1.
    Jagruti જાગૃતિMay 30, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    ya,I have to agree with you Ash, you are ignoring your blog....no good,come on Ash, jara speed badhao..missing you yaar...;-) Loved your daal mela...and you grow your own tomatoes ! wow...can't see Mango daal pick..
    ReplyDelete
    2.
    PavithraMay 31, 2010 at 8:15 AM
    Nice to see you back dear.. The dhal looks soo good and always its a comforting one.. The meal platter looks so good with all my fav ones. MAking me hungry again.. by the way the finger picture is very nice ...
    ReplyDelete
    3.
    Sushma MallyaMay 31, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    So nice to see you back ash, and the 3 dal also looks yum, should try your version of mango dal,looks too good...
    ReplyDelete
    4.
    SUFFIXMay 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    Welcome back Ash, yeah its hard these days without virtual world!!
    ReplyDelete
    5.
    SuhainaMay 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM
    U have done a very good job dear. Wonderful clicks which is making me drool over ur plate oF rice and dal. yUMM. Wish could have a plate now. Super.
    The tomatoes look so cute. Not even a scratch on top. So glossy and plumpy.Organic home grown tomatoes.
    ReplyDelete
    6.
    NithyaMay 31, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    Good that you are back. :) Dal looks really yummm :) I like the tomato clicks and the wooden bowl that you have used too ;)
    ReplyDelete
    7.
    Chetana Suvarna GanatraJune 1, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    Dear Asha,
    New to ur very creative blog...loved tis mango dal...u have a very cool collection.
    Between me to a Mangi, and a food blogger from down under.
    Will be back for more, following you.
    Cheers,
    Chetana.
    www.myrecipegalore.blogspot.com
    ReplyDelete
    8.
    VidhyaJune 1, 2010 at 11:07 AM
    Asha, Tadka marke... title se... jor lagake hayya....ka yaad aa gaya...dal looks ymmm. I like Mango dal... looks delicious. Wonderful tomato clicks!!!!!
    ReplyDelete
    9.
    AnuJune 1, 2010 at 11:09 AM
    Welcome back!! Dal looks delicious and yummy... Tomatoes look so cute..
    ReplyDelete
    10.
    shanthiJune 2, 2010 at 9:17 AM
    Delivious and yummy. Do visit my space whenever time permits.http://shanthisthaligai.blogspot.com/
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11.
    FoodLoversJune 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    Hi Asha Hope u r doing great dear ...
    Loved ur thali with Bhendi and Dal looks fabulours feels like to have a meal dear ..toms looks cute
    ReplyDelete
    12.
    PritiJune 2, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Glad to find your blog n to follow ..u hav a nice space
    ReplyDelete
    13.
    vineethaJune 2, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    Glad to see u back..Loved all ur preptions,especially ur mango dal,never tried it.
    ReplyDelete
    14.
    AshaJune 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM
    Don't feel bad, it's not your fault if PC breaks down. I had to be silent for 8 weeks because of blogspot problems too, feel like hitting the wall! :D

    Mango dal looks great, colorful and tangy.
    ReplyDelete
    15.
    Suma GandlurJune 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    Glad you made it. Love these delicious dals.
    I use regular green mango for making dals but never used a totapuri. Miss those tangy totapuris. My mouth is puckering just thinking about them.
    Thanks for sending over these lovely dals to my event.
    ReplyDelete
    16.
    LeenaJune 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    Lovely to see you back..Same problem with me,my pc was not working till yesterday now it is fixed so I am back aswell .all the dal dishes looks fabulous and colourful,lovely homegrown tomatoes!!!
    ReplyDelete
    17.
    ChitraJune 3, 2010 at 9:24 PM
    Dal and rice take me to a comfort zone.Reminds me of my childhood days.Mango dal looks yummy.
    ReplyDelete
    18.
    Viki's KitchenJune 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    Glad to see you back Ash! I was worrying , where were you. Ys, PC is becoming a part of our life. Garden tomato looks cute. Dhal preparation seems simple, but really a keeper for me always:)
    I can have more rice, if I get a mango dhal like this with pappad.....drooling!
    ReplyDelete
    19.
    ffernsJune 4, 2010 at 4:03 PM
    Hi Ash, good to see u back. Ur tadka dal and mango dal looks yummy. Can imagine how good ur heart is, u didn't scold ur maid or scnatch the tomatoes from her , great.
    ReplyDelete
    20.
    munchcrunchandsuchJune 4, 2010 at 11:49 PM
    even a simple dhal is prepared in different ways in different household.its the most comforting dish and the home grown tomatoes- they look big .
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  3. 21.
    Hamaree RasoiJune 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    Glad to see you back dear... Back with a bang...Not one but three simple, delicious dal preparations. And specially mango dal sounds so yummy.Lovely clicks... And cheer up please as it was not your fault dear...

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi
    ReplyDelete
    22.
    JGHJune 6, 2010 at 7:17 AM
    Hi there! I've had to take a little hiatus too so I was relieved to see that I didn't fall too far behind here. Glad you got your computer back!

    My son adores mangos, I may have to make this for him. Gorgeous tomatoes too - what else are you growing??
    ReplyDelete
    23.
    SpiceJune 6, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    Nice dal collection.....if u r an Indian got to have your dal everyday.....nothing can beat simple dal tadka....
    ReplyDelete
    24.
    Sharon Colaco D'SouzaJune 7, 2010 at 7:27 AM
    Great to have you back Ash! I must try these dal variations. The pics sure look amazing!
    ReplyDelete
    25.
    SanJune 8, 2010 at 1:49 AM
    Mango dal with rice on the platter has made me feel full.Its combo with papad oh my ...Your grow tomatoes in your garden (that's amazing ash ).The bowl is cute with the pair of tomatoes.
    ReplyDelete
    26.
    Sarah NaveenJune 8, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    Good to see you back asha dear....
    Platter looks appetizing..i wanna gobble up the entire thing now :)
    ReplyDelete
    27.
    PariJune 9, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    Hi Asha, sorry for the delay in commenting, I just missed out..
    I love the mango version of the dal and fresh tomatoes from garden, lucky u.
    ReplyDelete
    28.
    Sukanya RamkumarJune 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    WOW... Lovely dal recipe. Looks so mouthwatering... YUM! Those tomatoes looks fresh and gorgeous...
    ReplyDelete
    29.
    project.protein@colosceum.comJune 11, 2010 at 8:17 PM
    Hi Asha,
    We came across your blog and we think what we are doing would really interest you.

    Your blog is very interesting and a we are making a show on the same line. Its a FOOD TALENT SHOW which will be on air soon on a LEADING ENTERTAINMENT CHANNEL .

    PLEASE CONTACT US FOR MORE DETAILS,

    Contact us at : project.protein@colosceum.com

    Phone no: +91 – 9820125231

    http://showcasecookingtalent.blogspot.com/

    http://www.facebook.com/?page=1&sk=messages#!/event.php?eid=124273537604079&index=1
    ReplyDelete
    30.
    FathimaJune 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM
    I would live to grab that plate of rice with dal and bhindi...so inviting!
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete
  4. 31.
    project.protein@colosceum.comJune 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    Hi Asha,
    Thanks for your comment on our blog.
    Your description seems to fit the bill according to us, since we are looking for India's Best Amateur Chef. So we think you should give it a try or even your husband or mother-in-law can take part. There is no age bar. Hope the doubts are cleared if you feel interested then contact us on our email id
    ReplyDelete
    32.
    tinaJune 15, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    Congrats on the tomatoes! They look super. And Welcome back.
    ReplyDelete
    33.
    Patricia TorresJune 19, 2010 at 12:36 AM
    That looks yuuummm.. I've never heard of mango daal.. must try!!
    ReplyDelete
    34.
    ChitraJune 21, 2010 at 10:24 AM
    Hi ash , hru ? this dal is New to me..will try it out :)
    ReplyDelete
    35.
    Lady BohemeJune 23, 2010 at 7:52 PM
    Hi Asha, thanks for your comment! Beautiful post!! Delicious recipe!!!
    Kisses
    ReplyDelete
    36.
    sangiiJune 24, 2010 at 1:19 PM
    I tried ur mango dal yest.... was super yummy...tnx a lot 4 the wonderful recipe ...n thanks a lot for ur lovely comments Ash dear
    ReplyDelete
    37.
    Magia da InêsJune 26, 2010 at 10:01 PM
    Olá, amiga!
    Passei para uma visitinha...
    Gosto de rever seu cantinho.
    Encontro receitas deliciosa.
    Um ótimo fim de semana.
    Beijinhos.
    Itabira
    Brasil
    ReplyDelete
    38.
    Hamaree RasoiJune 28, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    Hi Asha dear,
    How are you? Just wanted to say I'm missing your posts. It's been while since you posted any new dish. I would love to come back here soon for more such yummy recipes.

    Bye
    Deepa
    ReplyDelete
    39.
    Sarah NaveenJune 28, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    Hey Asha...hope u are doing good!!!
    ReplyDelete
    40.
    simply.foodJuly 10, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    Dhal looks so delicious nad tasty.Good to see you cooking and blogging again.
    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)