Thursday, March 19, 2015

NENUA SABZI {Mashed Ridge Gourd, Heere Kaayi Gasi}

{ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON :
9/21/09, 11:50 PM
India Standard Time}


Ridge Gourd as it is commonly known, is also called as Jhingi, Turai, Heere kaayi (ಹೀರೆ ಕಾಯಿ), or Nenua (नेनुआ).

And this is an East Indian dish. Popularly prepared in every home at Bihar & Jharkhand. I love it a lot as it is a healthy dish, & so do my folks at home who are Mangaloreans. Once my aunt had visited us at my mom's place & I had taken a bit of this preparation. My aunt liked it instantly & wished, I got more.

I still remember, post wedding, I stayed with my in-law's at Nagpur, Maharashtra, for 9 months & there they got ridge gourds without ridges. They were plain like cucumber. I do not know what exactly they are called but they were a tasty variety too.

And here my mom peels those ridges & prepares chutney out of them (the ridges, I mean), which accompanies your lunch. I somehow do not like it. I know it is good & tasty,
but ................hmmmmmmmmmm................... ;-P

I peel off the ridges completely & prepare, literally the pulp. It is a very easy & quick preparation, which tastes good on your taste buds too.



Ingredients:

Tender Ridge Gourds - 2-3, finely peeled & cut into slightly thin rounds
Onion - 1 medium, sliced lenghtwise
Dry Red Chilli - 2, broken
Fenugreek Seeds (methi) - 8 to 10 seeds
Cumin Seeds (jeera) - 1 tsp
Turmeric Powder - 1 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Salt to Taste
Kitchen King Masala - 1 1/2 tsp
Cumin Powder - 1 tsp
Coriander Powder - 1 tsp
Mustard Oil - 1/2 tbsp

Method:

Soak the cut ridge gourds in water.



Heat oil in wok or a deep bottomed vessel. Add the methi & cumin seeds & allow it to splutter. Then add broken red chilli & sliced onions.



When the onions turn translucent, add the cut ridge gourd pieces.



Stir the pieces & add all the above mentioned masalas & powders. Keep stirring for 5 minutes on medium flame & allow all the ingredients to blend well.



Now cover the pan with a lid & reduce the flame to low & let the ridge gourd cook in its own juice. Keep stirring now & then. If you suspect lack of moisture, then one may add a bit of water. Once it is cooked just mash the gourd lightly to let the gourd release the juices & to let it blend with the rest. Now remove from fire after 2 minutes of stirring.





Serve hot with rice & dal or rotis.


1 comment:

  1. 1 COMMENT:


    NithyaSeptember 29, 2009 at 11:28 PM
    This is something new to me. will try it out soon. :)

    ReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete

All Your Remarks & Observations are of utter importance. Thanks for your Time & Interest!!!!
DO SHARE UR LOVE............. :-)